Monday, June 23, 2014

Taking Pleasure While You Can


Ever since Pearl Harbor, John had become a shell of a man, unable to move on from the trauma. When his captain forces him to take shore leave, a night out with the guys and one woman were about to change everything.

Buy Link


Excerpt:

Joe seemed to know everyone, and everyone seemed keen to be near him. It made it much easier for the quiet-by-nature and still healing John to slowly make some friends. Once the drinks started flowing, he even began to loosen up a bit. He missed hanging out with guys, telling stories, joking around, and laughing. His captain had been right; this was what he needed and what his friends who had passed on would want. He was beginning to feel alive again, and it felt good. Then he caught sight of her.

Author Interview Questions-

1. How did you start writing erotic romance?
I have been scribbling stories since I was a child, usually something paranormal like vampires and ghosts, something that I still like to write about to this day. Then when I was a teenager I started reading some of my grandmother's romance novels. Now most of these novels were straight romance, no supernatural aspects what so ever. Eventually I learned that I could marry the two love and write steamy paranormal romance. My first few erotic romances were paranormal, but I have now started branching out and doing other romance as well. My current release is a war time story with no paranormal aspect at all and I am currently working on some mystery romance as well. I like broadening my writing horizon.

2. Plotter or pantster?
I am a complete pantser. I never write out a full plot. Sometimes I will jot notes and I do tend to do a lot of research on the topic I will be writing about, but I never know where the story is going. Sometimes that can bite me in the butt. Hey, I like to live and write dangerously I guess!

3. What are three things you have on your writing desk?
Dare I say that I rarely write at a desk? I write at my kitchen table, my desk at work when I get there early or at lunch, and a bulk of my writing is done lounging in bed. So really all I need is my laptop and I will write anywhere. I also usually need to have music on, again from my laptop. I listen to a lock of hard rock and metal when I write, so I guess that is something that I need.

4. Favorite food?
Right now it is pizza. So many options and toppings. A complete meal that you can eat with your hands? What is not to like? I may even be serving pizza at my wedding reception. Now that is love of pizza!

5. Tell us a little about your new release. What character in the book really spoke to you?
Taking Pleasure Where You Can is loosely based on some stories that I used to hear from my grandpa who was stationed in the Philippines during WW2. He did indeed have a girlfriend over there. That being said, all the sexy stuff is completely NOT about my grandpa! That would be gross! But the idea of a man healing from war and falling for a local girl really peaked my interest.  War is hard and I found it very interesting to play with how people deal with it.

6. I write because ____...
I think I would go crazy if I didn't. Well crazier at least crazier.  I already talk to myself when characters or ideas pop into my head, imagine if I didn't have the outlet of getting it out through my writing? I'd be certifiable for sure.

7. What is your favorite type of character to write about?
Strong females with a bit of a naughty side. I like women who know what they want and go for it, like Imee in Taking Pleasure.

8. What is the sexiest scene you ever wrote?
In my shifter novella, Not So Silent Night, there is a pretty hot scene on a workbench in a flower shop that makes even me need to take a cold shower!

9. What advice would you give new authors in the erotica/romance field?
Read a lot. Write a lot. That's what you have to do to get better. Polish your work and submit. Find publishers that are geared towards what you write and follow their guidelines. If you are rejected, take any critiques and consider them, then dust yourself off and submit again. Don't give up. Just keep writing and reading and you will get to where you want.

10. What is next on your writerly horizon?
I have a few things in the works. My first full length novel is set to start edits soon. I am working on a few themed submissions for my publisher and I have an art heist erotic romance in the works! I'm pretty excited about that one.


Kelly Ryan, aka as Sheri Velarde, lives in New Mexico and grew up with a fascination for all things that "go bump in the night," so it is no wonder that she turned to writing paranormal romance. In her spare time, she fancies herself a cyrptozoologist and loves to go on paranormal related outings, searching for things that might not really exist. She is an avid exerciser and gets some of her best ideas while on runs. She also has a bit of a wild side, which only leads to inspiration for her writing.
Being an avid reader since an early age, she has wanted to be a writer for as long as she can remember. She has been writing all her life, but only recently started to actually try to pursue her dream of writing for a living. She has published with Breathless Press before, but Salvation is her first zombie story ever.
Kelly/Sheri is a multi-published author. You can keep up to date with all things Kelly Ryan/Sheri Velarde at: www.sherivelarde.weebly.com.


3 comments:

  1. I'm always happy to read how fellow pantsers write. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pantser for life here!! I don't even know how my current work will end! lol Glad I'm not the only one out there :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for letting me stop by to chat!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!