Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Accidental Romance Virtual Tour



At twenty-two, Leanne Declan has graduated from college and hopes to take over the family farm until a tragic accident changes her life forever. Unable to do the simplest everyday chores, she must depend on her family and friends as she learns to face life’s challenges. But when her fears threaten to destroy her future, can an unexpected love be strong enough to help her dreams come true?


Available from Decadent Publishing and other ebook retailers.

Putting Myself In My Character’s Shoes
Thank you for having me on your blog, Erzabet! Hello everyone!
In my recent release, Accidental Romance, the main character, Leanne, loses her hand in a farming accident. While I had many resources and some of my own experiences with living in the country and on a dairy farm, I had no idea how it felt to lose a limb. So, I decided to spend a few hours (while the kids were at school) keeping my dominant hand in a fist, and trying to use my other hand to do daily tasks. It was not at all easy. And it left me grateful I still have all of my limbs. Here are the things I found hardest to do:
  • Brushing my hair – I almost always use my dominant hand for this
  • Getting dressed – Not easy at all. I had to limit what clothes I could wear. Jeans & bras = impossible.
  • Going to the bathroom – Now this is difficult for so many reasons. It’s not the going that’s hard. It’s the wiping and getting your underwear and pants back up after. Can we say wedgie? And how on Earth are you supposed to wash your hands with only one hand? Sure, after the stump has healed, it will be easier, but until those bandages are removed…
  • Writing – writing a simple note to myself as a reminder. Well, if I could read my handwriting, it would be okay.
  • Tying shoes – Um, yeah right! Slip-ons only.
So, tell me. Think of all of the things you do in a day. If you lost your dominant hand, what would you find most difficult? If you get a chance, try not using your hand for an hour, and just see how much life changes.




Excerpt:
A million needles pierced her wrist. She had to get away from the fire. Leanne flicked open her eyes, screaming, longing for the agony to stop.
White walls surrounded her. Machines beeped. Taking in the new scenery, she closed her mouth, the pain forgotten. Bags filled with clear liquids as well as blood hung from a metal pole. She followed the tubes from the bags into her left hand. Was that where the burn came from? She glanced at the other arm, the end of which was wrapped in thick bandages. The image of spinning blades and her mangled flesh flashed before her eyes. She screamed again, tears falling down her cheeks. This can’t be happening.
Bodies rushed into the room, many in scrubs. With her vision blurred, she didn’t recognize anyone. All strangers. She was in the foreign place by herself. A nightmare. Has to be.
“Shh, calm down, sweetie. You’ll be okay.”
A familiar voice. She glanced to her other side to see her mom standing beside her, her eyes glassy. She held her hand, but Leanne couldn’t feel it, only the throbbing which had returned to her other one, the one that was…gone? She groaned, turning on her side, and pulled her knees up to her chest.
“Mom, is it really…?”
She brushed her fingers over her forehead. “Don’t worry about it right now. You need to rest.”
“It hurts so bad.”
“I know.” Her mother stroked her face again. “But the nurses will help it go away.”
“Leanne,” one of the nurses hovering around her said. “I want you to take deep breaths and count backward from ten.”
“Ten.” She sucked in air and cried out in agony.
Between clenched teeth, she continued. Anything to stop the pain. “Nine.”
Ice traveled through her veins. “Eight.”
The throbbing slowly ebbed away. Seven.
Darkness swept over her and pulled her down with it.




Bio:
Jessica Subject is the author of contemporary and science fiction romance, ranging from sweet to erotica. In her stories, you could meet clones, or a sexy alien or two. You may even be transported to another planet for a romantic rendezvous.

When Jessica isn't reading, writing, or doing dreaded housework, she likes to get out and walk. Fast. But she just may slow down if there is a waterfall nearby.

Jessica lives in Ontario, Canada with her husband and two energetic children. And she loves to hear from her readers. You can find her at jessicasubject.com and on twitter @jsubject.


Giveaway!!
On April 12, 2013, Jessica Subject will be giving away a $10 Amazon.com gift certificate to one lucky commenter during the Accidental Romance tour. Please leave your email address in your comment so that she can contact you if you win. Contest is international. Good luck!


10 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me today, Ezrabet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I lost me dominate hand I'd also lose my job. I'm a nail tech so I'm very aware of the things I do that could hurt me. I've had surgery on the hand and could not use it for a few days its hard.
    The book looks really good.
    Lorimeehan 1 @ aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori! Yes, there are certain jobs that require the use of both hands, yours being one of them. Always hard to deal when accidents happen.

      Thank you! :-)

      Delete
  3. I loved this book! While growing up, I sprained my wrists many times, and one of the hardest things was *ahem* using the bathroom. I've also tried to type using one hand and made so many mistakes....I'm blown away by those who typed/paint/draw with a pencil held in their teeth, or use any other method.

    storimom2@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kenzie! Me, too! Their strength and courage is truly amazing. :-)

      Delete
  4. Actually, I work construction, concrete. I am the only female in the company , besides the secretary. If i lost my hand i would lose my job. But, I am half blind in my left eye. Sometimes i close my good eyes, just to see what i could do. I wouldn't be able to read, type, watch tv, crochet, drive, cook and so much more. And that fear is always there. So i can totally understand, but only with a different problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Lisa! It's a tough enough challenge to work in a male dominated field. But, to do it with only one good eye? Good for you! :-)

      Delete
  5. I love that you did that for your research! So cool. I once broke my right hand very badly and had to do a lot of the things you did during your experiment. It was incredibly hard, frustrating, and it gave me a glimpse of how much I use it. I'm looking forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather! The worst I've ever broken was my toe. But I really wanted to understand what Leanne would go through, what problems she would face while learning to adjust.

      Thanks so much! :-)

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much, Erzabet, for hosting me during the Accidental Romance tour! And thanks to everyone who came out to visit!

    The winner of the $10 Amazon.com gift certificate is Meghan from the fourth stop on the tour. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!