Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Even Villains Go to the Movies by Liana Brooks


1. How did you start writing romance? It was a complete accident. I started writing, but I believe in Happily Ever After and I love to see people in love so all my books started straying into Romance territory. EVEN VILLAINS FALL IN LOVE (Heroes and Villains Book 1) was my first true foray into purposefully writing romance, but EVEN VILLAINS GO TO THE MOVIES (Heroes and Villains Book 2) is probably truer to the genre.

2. Plotter or pantster? Pantster. I try to plot, I really do, but it never works. I wind up planning a few chapters ahead and I spend the first three drafts erasing huge chunks of writing, but I need that. I need to play and sketch out the story before I can flesh it out into a real book.

3. What are three things you have on your writing desk? Computer, mouse, phone? I have a stack of reference books and usually a glass of water, but those change all the time. I do love THE EMOTION THESAURUS and THE DESCRIBERS DICTIONARY. I use them a lot during rough drafts.

4. Favorite food? Sushi! I’m a California girl and sushi with a bowl of miso soup on the side is my idea of comfort food.

5. Tell us a little about your new release. What character in the book really spoke to you? I really loved writing Angela, she’s very upbeat, very optimistic, and very stubborn in her own way. The whole idea that she can’t do something is foreign to her, and that gets her into all sorts of fun trouble. Besides, you’ve got to love a girl who goes for a run just to buy a cupcake.

6. I write because ____... There are people who don’t write? I wasn’t aware that was an option. I always have stories running around in my head. Most of them don’t make it to paper, but I can’t imagine going through the day without daydreaming.

7. What is your favorite type of character to write about? Oh… gosh… probably the Unexpected Hero. I love stories about characters with big emotional arcs, the ones who really change over the course of the story and are willing to lose everything to get what they want. I also like really direct characters, it’s nice to have one person in the story who can punch their way through any wall they encounter.

8. What is the sexiest scene you ever wrote? I think I’ll let the fans answer that one.

9. What advice would you give new authors in the erotica/romance field? Don’t be afraid of emotions. Love is just one color on the painter’s pallette. Don’t be afraid to paint a vivid emotional picture, let your characters experience the full range of emotions, let them have real relationships that go past lust and desire.

10. What is next on your writerly horizon? Book 3, which really needs a working title. I’m finishing up Delilah’s book, hopefully it will be out late next spring. She’s chasing down some of the villains introduced in EVEN VILLAINS GO TO THE MOVIES and, of course, getting tangled up with a superhero. Once I find some down time I’m planning on writing the next Apex War short story to follow up on Prime Sensations, a short story that came out in this year’s TALES FROM THE SFR BRIGADE. And there’s always novels on the back burner. 

 EVEN VILLAINS GO TO THE MOVIES excerpt
By Liana Brooks
November 2013- Breathless Press


Angela tossed the red curls of her wig and parked Luiz’s bike in the alley behind the conference center. She hadn’t put on her Rage getup since arriving in LA, but tonight the mental screams of terror echoing from the center warranted the kind of investigation that would attract questionable attention.
Tight black jeans, a bright red tank top that matched her hair, and a leather duster that was too heavy for the L.A. heat were a start. She’d added a black domino mask that obscured the shape of her nose and cheekbones when she’d moved to New York, because no one needed to see their favorite school teacher beating down the local thugs. The heart and star pendant around her neck— a little invention of her Daddy’s that would shield her from most things—completed the outfit.
The ‘most’ still worried her some days.
Terror radiated from the building, escalating until the headache tearing into her brain was a living fire. Whatever was happening, she would hit back. Hard.
Checking to make sure the alley was empty, Angela sauntered towards the back door and hoped someone inside had been kind enough to leave it open. More often than not the people hired to cater at these places would stick a rock in the door to keep it from locking every time they slipped out for fresh air.
If not she could always pick the lock. Angela sighed. The whole point of moving away from her sisters was to avoid a life filled with crime and superheroes.
 Angela reached for the door and someone hit her. A breeze ruffled her wig and she found herself on her back in the alleyway, staring up at a masked man. No hate tainted the aura around him, nothing that suggested that he was dangerous except that he was bigger than her.
She raised an eyebrow. "Hello?"
The man took a deep breath. "Hi." He smelled like mint.
"I’m new to the area, so I’m not familiar with the protocol when you’re jumped by a masked man in an alleyway. Is there a secret handshake or something?" she asked, sarcastically.
"I’m here to save your life."
Angela looked around for signs of danger. The man was the only thing in the alley, and he was cradling her, hand cushioning her head, muscular arms suspending him in a pushup so his body weight wasn’t resting on her.
"Right. What danger am I in, exactly?"
"The door is going to explode and kill you," he said in a very serious tone.
She lifted her head to peer over his shoulder at the door. It was a mistake. The movement meant gyrating under him in his spandex suit, and she caught a whiff of cologne, soap, and clean sweat. His emotions shifted, becoming tinged with desire and arousal.
Angela cleared her throat and lay back down, trying to put space between herself and her captor. "Mm hmm. Tell you what, let me up and I’ll help you find your doctor. I bet someone is very worried about you missing your medicine."

Social and buy links:
-          Website – http://www.lianabrooks.com
-          Twitter - https://twitter.com/LianaBrooks
-          Tumblr – http://lianabrooks.tumblr.com/
-          BookLikes - http://lianabrooks.booklikes.com/
-          Barnes and Noble – http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/liana-brooks
-          All Romance eBooks – http://www.allromanceebooks.com/storeSearch.html



Author bio:
Liana Brooks is a full time mom, part time author, who would rather slay dragons than budget the checkbook any day. Alas, Adventuring Hero is not a recognized course of study in American universities so Liana was forced to do the next best thing. She graduated college with a bachelor’s degree in marine biology, a husband, and no job prospects in her field. To fill the free time she started writing. Now her books are read all over the world (she says she’s big in Canada) and she’s free to explore the universe one page at a time.  


You can find Liana on the web at www.lianabrooks.com, on Twitter as @LianaBrooks, or on Face Book under the same name.

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting!