Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Christmas Eve Surprise: A Visit with Ivy Bateman


1. How did you start writing erotic romance?
A friend of mine has a sister who is a lawyer for one of the bigger romance publishers and she said that they pay decent money for their novels. Well, I had wanted to try my hand at writing and although I wasn't sure if I could tackle a full novel, I saw that this company was looking for submissions for short ebooks and one of the categories was for particularly sexually graphic books. Basically, I started writing erotica just to see if could and although I could have written for a less heat rated category, I thought "Go big of go home!"  I was happy with my story even if this particular place wasn't and eventually found Breathless Press. My latest book, Christmas Eve Surprise, is now my fourth book with Breathless Press. Sometimes, doing something just to see if you can takes you places you never thought you'd go.

2. Plotter or pantster?
Oooo…both really. I usually have a least the basic plot worked out, but more often than not the characters decide how they're going to get to these particular plot points.

3. What are three things you have on your writing desk?
A hot drink, a pad of paper and my flash drive.

4. Favorite food?
Bacon and really cheesy pasta.  Separate or together, I'm a happy girl.

5. Tell us a little about your new release. What character in the book really spoke to you?
The characters Tim and Bob spoke to me loud and clear. As soon as I stared writing them I could see that Tim was going to have to be based on actor Arthur Darvill, and in particular his character Rory from Doctor Who, while Bob is 100% Hugh Jackman. The two of them together worked so well that when I was writing their dialogue I felt more like I was transcribing their conversations instead of making it up as I went along.

6. I write because ____...
I write because I have to. Being creative keeps me sane, healthy and relatively happy.

7. What is your favorite type of character to write about?
I love writing characters who find themselves in situations that are completely out of the realm of their experience.  If you know your characters you know what they would do when they do normal things, but the challenge is to find out what they would do when you throw something at them that they don't expect.

8. What is the sexiest scene you ever wrote?
In my first novel, Between the Lines, there is a fairly graphic sex scene between the main characters near the end of the book, however, I'm not sure it's the sexiest. When they first meet they barely speak, but keep shyly eyeing each other in the mirrored door of the elevator. The sexual chemistry between them begins here and I think it's a pretty sexy scene with a lot of tension.

9. What advice would you give new authors in the erotica/romance field?
This is a hard question because I still feel very new to the genre and worry that I make mistakes with my writing, but I always try to write my way and the way that is truest to the path of the story. If a "happily ever after" isn't in the cards, even though it's what the industry almost requires in a lot of cases, I don't force it. I try to tell the story the best way I can. That would be my advice. Stay with the true voice of the story and the readers will hear the truth too.
However, that being said, Christmas Eve Surprise is an HEA, but it works and I love it.
10. What is next on your writerly horizon?
A break! Promotion, although a very fun time and I'm happy to do it because I'm lucky to have work out there to promote, is a lot of work. January will be about reading and in February, we'll see what happens!



Blurb:

It's Christmas time and Tim and Stella are on the hunt for the perfect Christmas gifts for each other. Since last Christmas, their hot love life has cooled substantially. Tim feels he's to blame and Stella thinks it's her fault, but this Christmas both of them have put a lot of thought into how to make the other happy and put the fire back in the bedroom. However, with such unorthodox gifts ready to be revealed, will their Christmas Eve present opening be a pleasant surprise or an unwelcome one?


Excerpt from Christmas Eve Surprise
The look of concern and sincerity on Bob's face was enough to get him rolling. After all, if he was going to find a man by tomorrow evening to have sex with him in front of his wife, he couldn't be coy. Bob was turning into the most likely man for the job. Might as well dive in head first!
 "Well, if you insist. My wife, well, we're going through some things and she's—we're not... she... I think she's in the mood for something new."
Bob looked intrigued. "Is this a picture of her?" He took a hold of the one picture Tim had on his desk and studied it for a few moments.
"Yes, that's her," Tim said proudly. "Her name is Stella."
"She's quite pretty," Bob said graciously before returning the picture to his desk.
"I've always thought so."
"But things of late haven't been…"
"Well, you know how things get. Or maybe you don't. Anyway, we're usually quite active and experimental in our carnal unions, if you know what I mean —"
"Oh, I do Tim." Bob said with a knowing nod and toothy grin.
 "Yes, of course you would," Tim continued. "But my new position at work, well it takes a lot out of me! I often have no energy to eat when I get home let alone play frisky stable boy meets lonely and recently widowed, but still hot, farm woman..." He drifted off for a minute, losing himself in a memory.
Bob coughed, bringing him back to reality. "You were saying?" he asked politely.
"Sorry! Yes. Are you sure you want to hear this?"
"Very sure," he said with incredible sincerity.
"Okay, well, it's not as if I'm not attracted to Stella. It would be impossible for me not to be! It's more that I'm worried my distance due to being tired from work has pushed her away. I feel like she doesn't really want me anymore. I think I need to introduce something new into our, well, sexual life. Sort of kick us in the arse. Not that I want to be kicked in the arse unless..." He glanced over at Bob and decided it was time to end the conversation. He actually was not very comfortable with what he had revealed to this handsome man and needed a break from his presence is order to think about the next step.
"Sorry, Bob! You know, you really are a good listener but, I don't know why I'm talking about my wife with you! We've just met and I don't even talk to my close mates about my bedroom issues. Thank you for lending your ear to me, though. Perhaps I can return the favor another day, or you can lend me something else! Oh dear, not sure what I meant by that. Anyway, I'm sure you've got lots to do. First day and all that."
Bob had glanced at his watch. "Yes, I suppose you're right. I'll see you at lunch like Terry said."
"Excellent. Yes, good! See you then! And if you wouldn’t mind keeping our conversation to yourself?"
"Have no worries, Tim. Your bedroom secrets are safe with me. And please, if there's anything I can do, let me know." He winked again and turned on the heel of a highly polished shoe, whistling as he walked away.
Tim couldn’t help admiring Bob’s walk. He had a long stride, a confident gait, and walked around as if he owned the place. Bob also appeared to have, Tim noticed with approval, quite firm buttocks. Yes, he was very certain; if there was a man he could get on board with, it was definitely Bob.

Ivy Bateman's Links:
Ivy's books are available from the Breathless Press Website:
Or drop Ivy a line at: ivybmisbehavin@gmail.com

 Author bio:

When she was just nine, this girl began her journey for a life on the stage. Attempts were made, classes were taken, lessons were well learned but, at the end of the day, a decision to live life off the stage was made. But all was not lost. While at college she met the love of her life and his support and strength has helped her to see that she has talent waiting around many corners.

When the stage beckons, she answers its call, and her new passion for writing has enhanced many of her theatre dreams and as well as the occasional book, she now occasionally writes a play.

The love of her life generously reads everything she writes and although he may not always be her muse, he is always her biggest fan.

Christmas Eve Surprise is Ivy's fourth book with Breathless Press. Her first release with
Breathless Press, Between the Lines, was released in January, 2012. This was followed by The Fifth Story in September, 2012 and Baby, You're Cold Inside in December, 2012.

 Thanks Ivy for stopping in for an afternoon visit on the blog! I can't wait to read this spicy bit of holiday mischief. I love the cover!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!