Monday, December 21, 2015

In the Shadow of the Shield


1.       How did you start writing erotic romance?

I used to only write crime fiction. Murders, kidnappings, stalkers. Somehow though, my hero and heroine always ended up hot for each other. Romance is a great fit for me.  Happy endings are awesome but I also really love the tension and the chemistry of first attraction and new love. It’s something that kept finding its way into my mysteries so I decided to just go with it. 
2.       Plotter or pantster?

I couldn’t plot if I wanted to!  I know, I’ve tried. The entire story of In the Shadow of the Shield is completely different from how I started out to tell it.
3.       What are three things you have on your writing desk?

I don’t have a writing desk, sadly. The kitchen table is my workspace and currently there is a kindle, salt and pepper shakers and a beautiful blown glass pumpkin on it.
4.       Favorite food?

Pizza. Or anything in a burrito shell. I know, not much in common there!
5. Tell us a little about your new release. What character in the book really spoke to you?
6. I write because ____...
     I have stories to tell.  I want others to get as much enjoyment out of one of my books as I do from reading.
7. What is your favorite type of character to write about?
       Characters who grow and change and learn something about themselves along the way. I prefer strong females but I am definitely okay with them evolving that strength throughout the story.
8. What is the sexiest scene you ever wrote?
   In my first murder mystery I wrote a scene between the male and female detective. They had been dancing around each other for a while but were reluctant to cross the line from partners to lovers. There’s a farmhouse kitchen table in that book that will never be the same.
9. What advice would you give new authors in the erotica/romance field?
    Don’t ever let anyone discount your writing. I’ve had a lot of people not take me seriously because I “only” write romance. Romance is a billion dollar business so there must be something to it. Besides that, writing a novel of any genre is a huge accomplishment and you should always be proud of it.
10. What is next on your writerly horizon?

I’m working on a new series, a baseball/sports themed romance set on the beaches of Cape Cod. It’s a little break from my usual mysteries  but it’s been a lot of fun so far.


In the Shadow of the Shield
By
Carolyn LaRoche


Author Bio
Carolyn LaRoche grew up in snow country but fled the cold and ice several years ago. She now lives near the beach with her husband, their two boys, two finicky cats and one old dog. When she is not at the baseball field cheering on big hits and home runs, she is busy teaching science to unwilling teenagers.  
Social Media Links:
Twitter: @CarolynLaRoche
Blurb:
When a police officer falls, justice must be served.

Donnie Massey was an honest, skilled police officer. That’s probably what got him killed. When his wife Diana watches him die in front of her, the worst part is going to be telling their son, Jackson.

After a year of mourning, Diana decides it’s time to move on with their lives. The first step to getting closure is to visit Donnie’s grave. But when she gets there, she’s not alone...

Good cops are rare. Carter Ryan is one of them.

Mentored by Donnie, Carter is at the grave when his widow shows up. It may not be the best timing, but he needs her help. Carter admits the fallen shield may not have died in the line of duty, but was likely murdered while involved in a secret investigation with deep criminal ties. Diana agrees to aid in unveiling the truth. Donnie deserves that much.

The definition of insanity...

As the two work side by side, a new and delicate romance begins to bloom. But would falling for another cop be the worst mistake of Diana’s life, or the best decision she’s ever made? When the investigation leads them to an underground meth ring, their mission goes from risky to down right perilous. 

After a brush with death hits too close to home, will Diana risk loving another cop? Or will their chance at happiness be forever buried in the shadow of the shield?

Buy Link
http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Shield-Secret-Lives-Book-ebook/dp/B018W98LEW/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1449504531&sr=8-15&keywords=In+the+shadow+of+the+shield

Excerpt:
They were standing very close. Too close. She could smell that musky soap of his again, and it was all she could do to stay where she was. He sure looked good in that uniform. Too good. She moistened her suddenly dry lips with the tip of her tongue. 
“Don’t do that.”
 “What?” 
“Lick your lips that way. I have to get back on the road in a minute, and that might make me quit my job so I can see you do that again.”
She giggled like a schoolgirl. “Oh, you can’t do that. Your uniform is half the appeal. Don’t you know, once a badge bunny, always a badge bunny?” She tapped the badge on his chest with one finger. “Badge bunny, huh?”
 In one smooth move, his arm slipped around her and his lips pressed to hers in a quick kiss. “I hate to leave, Madam Bunny, but the streets of Virginia Beach are begging to be kept safe.”
“What kind of crime is there in a resort town in the middle of the winter?”
“You’d be surprised. Hookers still got pimps to pay, no matter how cold it is. Crack heads still need a fix, and drive-bys are very popular this time of year. The discerning gangster prefers not to freeze the family jewels to get the weekly quota of shootings in.”
 “I suppose that makes sense, since it was this time last year when Donnie got mixed up in that supposed meth case.” No sooner had the words left her mouth that they heard the ringing of a cell phone.
Carter let her go and dug into one of his pockets. “That’s the Louie phone number. A text message.”
 “What’s it say?”
“He says he wants a pizza with his Snickers and his Mountain Dew.”
“What?”
 “Hold on. Another message is coming in. It’s a photograph.”
“A photo of what?”
“Hard to tell. It’s pretty dark, but it looks like three people. He says he caught them leaving the house, and they are the same guys he saw the other night.”
“Ask him who they are.” Her heart rate picked up at the thought of a possible lead. “Are they cops?”
 Carter tapped out a message and then waited for Louie to reply. “Okay, he says they left and locked the place up tight. He doesn’t know who they are, but he is certain they are the same guys he saw the other night.”
Carter typed in another message, then set the phone down on the counter by his radio. It buzzed almost immediately with a message from Louie, promising to let them know the second the men returned, as long as he could have an extra-large double cheese pie. “All right, as much as I hate to go, I need to get back out on patrol. Lunchtime is over.”
“Lunch time? Was I supposed to be a quickie on your lunch break?”
Carter grabbed his radio and clipped it back on his belt. “Trust me, baby, if that was why I was here, there would be nothing quick about it.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!