Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Last of His Kind: An Interview with Doris O'Connor



What do you do when you stumble upon a naked, injured Adonis on your morning jog? You take him home and nurse him back to health, of course. If that involves the hottest sex a girl ever had, than so much the better, right?

Penelope Jefferson has returned to her childhood vacation spot at Loch Ness for peace, solitude, and inspiration. When she stumbles upon Doric she is floored by her body's instantaneous reaction to the stranger who washed up from the Loch.

Doric is the last of his kind. Cursed into the Loch by a witches spell, he needs acceptance from the very species he detests. When his little human is abducted after their night of bliss, will it spell the end for them both, or will they get to live the fairy tale?

Goodreads



This book was sent to me by the author for an honest review.


What I liked:

This book was hot. Finding a naked guy next to a loch and having hot and wild monkey sex with him. Oh yes. Great believable action scenes and a dominant male that made me want to just go all melty. You read lots of vampire romances and erotica-or at least I do, and it was really nice to read about another kind of supernatural being that doesn't stay within stereotypes.


What I didn't:

The villain being another shape shifter that got a little too up close and personal with the heroine was unpleasant, but thankfully it didn't get to rape. Using the term "spunk" was also one that I don't usually like, but that didn't change how I felt about the story line.

Overall:

I enjoyed the Loch Ness supernatural aspects of this book.  I loved the fiercely hot sex scenes but some of the terminology (spunk) was a little squidgy. Doric was a hot dominant male and Penelope was the perfect companion. The anal sex component was rich with feeling and done very well. This book was a very naughty fairy tale and was an enjoyable summer read.

4/5

  
A visit with the author:





1. Writing erotica, as I am finding out, has its own challenges and rewards. How did you become interested in writing in this genre and what were some of the hardest things to overcome?

I was trying to find a home for my first manuscript, Scandinavian Scandal, and I noticed that those authors I knew writing Erotic Romance seemed to be doing much better than anyone else. So, I decided to completely re-write the manuscript from scratch. It already had several sex scenes in it, but you could say I upped the ante considerably, lol. I had started reading a lot of Erotic Romance, and really liked what I was reading, so writing it was the next logical step.

That manuscript contains the first anal sex scene I have ever written and boy oh boy, did that take me ages to write. I didn't want to write it, but my hero made it very clear to me that it was an important scene, and needed to be in there. He was right of course, it's all part of my heroine's healing process.

The hardest thing to overcome has been my personal embarrassment at writing sex scenes. They didn't come easy at first. In fact, one of my critique partners helped me with the first sex scene I'd ever written. But, as in real life, practice makes perfect, and I really enjoy writing them now. J

2. In The Last of His Kind you write about the Loch Ness monster with some interesting twists to the tale. Have you ever been to the loch and what inspired you to write this particular story line?

I have been to Scotland, but not the Loch. I will have to visit it one day. I've always been fascinated with the idea of the Loch Ness Monster, though.

I can't take credit for the original idea. A very good friend shared her mum's idea about a dinosaur type creature, which shifts into a human. Naturally my thoughts went to Loch Ness. Where else could you hide such a huge being? I did some research into the origins of the legend and Doric himself told me the rest. He was an instant, strong voice in my head, and my fingers flew across the keyboard.

3. Do you have any favorite music you think of when you write erotica, or have a playlist for this book?

I can't write to music. I find it too distracting, so no, I haven't.

4. Writing sex scenes that flow is one of the things I liked about your book. What would you tell a new writer to the genre about how to write character movement effectively?

Listen to your characters. They know who they are, and they know what fits them. I'm a panster and my stories are completely character driven, so as long as I simply take narration, it works J

I try and argue with them from time to time, but that never works, 'cause the story grinds to a halt, until I give in and write what they want me to. And they regularly push my writing boundaries.

5. What is your next project?

I am working on a Halloween short right now, involving destined lovers through time. I have a f/f story being released in August as part of Evernight Publishing's Lover Unexpected Anthology, and I have book three of my Club Ink Series and The Giovanni Clan to write.

Just a few things to keep me busy ;-) 

Doris O'Connor

Multi Published Author of Erotic Romance


Twitter: @mamaD8


Thank you Doris for stopping in at Erzabet's Enchantments! We are looking forward to your next book!



1 comment:

  1. Doris a writer I admire greatly, and I wish I could be as adventurous as her. and Sven from Scandinavian Scandal... he is mine.
    Doric is one of a kind though and I am honored to read these stores before they 'go public.'
    To anyone out there wanting something different...read Doris

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!