Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Rough Surrender by Cari Silverwood: The Interview




One master, one woman who craves surrender, and a sky that will challenge them both. 


At a time when airplanes are as new-fangled and sensational as the telephone, Faith dares to fly. 


The one territory she has not explored is her own sexuality. In Leonhardt she discovers the man who can teach her how a woman surrenders her body and her mind. However, Leonhardt has a shadowed past and his own learning to do. He doesn't have the right to keep Faith from flying, even if he thinks airplanes are flimsy death-traps made of canvas, timber and their inventor's prayers. 


Faith has her limits, Leonhardt has his flaws, and sometimes the nicest people get murdered by unscrupulous bastards. Even if Leonhardt can save the woman he loves, the battle for Faith’s heart will be the hardest one of all. 


WARNING: BDSM, anal sex, orgasms galore, and a Dom who likes to claim his property with pen, ink and bondage.


Goodreads


#                             #                               #                            #


When Cari graciously agreed to let me review and ask her some interview questions, I was thrilled. Rough Surrender is one hot summer read that you just can't miss. If you enjoy BDSM books with a great plot and original characters, this book is for you.


What I liked:


Having a character like Faith who is exploring her own sensuality and independence was a refreshing change of pace from some of the romances I have undertaken recently. This book is erotic and full of surprises that sent delicious shivers down my spine and had me turning the pages faster and faster. Cari is masterful at creating tension and making you feel what the character is feeling. Leonhardt was the best kind of hero there is: broody with a big dose of bad boy syndrome. The fact that he tries to control his dominant desires was endearing but I was hopping up and down when he revealed his true nature and gave into his passions.


What I didn't:


Ok. So anal sex has never been a fav, but Cari does a great job of making it seductive rather than a traumatic event. I admit it, my interest is piqued and I will be less squeamish going forward. (good job Cari!)


Overall:


This book is 5/5 with summer heat that sizzles. It was nice to visit an exotic local and feel the pulse of an independent spirit trying to find her path, all while staying true to herself. Murder, mayhem and some super smokin' sex make this one you have to put on your to be read list immediately, if not today!






flogger Pictures, Images and Photos


Now for a bit of fun...Here Cari herself, answering a few interview questions.


1. Writing is tough. Showing people your work, when you write erotica is even harder. What is it about BDSM erotica that made you want to write about it?


The psychology questions already? Lol I write erotic romance to make money, hopefully. I write BDSM romance because that’s what turns me on. I’ve never ever been a fan of plain romances. If you sat me down with a gun to my head and said write an ordinary contemporary romance with vanilla sex…fifty fifty you’d be pulling that trigger. Or I might elbow you, grab the gun, wrestle with you. Hmmm…someone might get hurt. Best to back away from the vanilla romances slowly.


2. In your newest novel, Rough Surrender, you write about the surrender of body and mind in the midst of inventions and airplanes. What inspired you?


A friend, Nerine Dorman. She also writes and is an editor. She loves history and suggested I write something set in the Belle Epoque period of the early 20th century. My internet trail led me to Paris and Egypt, and then to Baron Empain’s palace, and that just led me down a rabbit hole of wondrous information. Everything was happening in Cairo in 1910!


As for the BDSM elements, they are always in my stories and once I found out about the early women pilots, who flew only 7 or 8 years after the Wright Brothers, I knew my heroine would be an aviator. I like to write about strong women who are sexually submissive.


3. Who are some of your favorite erotica or BDSM authors?


Cherise Sinclair. Remittance Girl (stunning prose). Annabel Joseph. Some of Candace Blevins’, Ann Mayburn’s and Kitty Thomas’s books.


4. Do you write to music or have a playlist for your books?


I do write to music a lot of the time. Muse…yum. Lykke Li. Gotye (an aussie!). Florence and the Machine. NIN, Rammstein. I have a loop on youtube of selections that work for me. 


5. What are some of your hobbies when you are not writing? 


Reading lol Walking the dogs. Swimming. I used to play more extreme sports but no longer, alas. Judo, fencing, speleology or caving -- all in my past.


6. Do you find that most of the people in your life support your writing? What would you tell other prospective writers who are considering erotica as their genre of choice?


Because I write BDSM, only my husband knows what I write. Yes, he is supportive now, though not earlier on in my writing career.


To other writers – polish your general writing skills first before you jump in. Writing good sexy stories is just as difficult as writing in any other genre. Stephen King’s book – “On Writing” is a great starter. Find an online crit group. Try out Critters first maybe and go from there. Practice, practice, practice. And read a lot, including outside the genre.


7. Do you outline your books or write them as they come to you?


A bit of both. I know the general plot, a fair bit about the characters and most of the key points. But I write best when I allow myself leeway to alter things as I go. I find I grow into my characters. I discover them as I see how they react to circumstances in the story. I tried writing to a strict plot and got so bored. 


8. What was the hardest or funniest sex scene you ever wrote?


The funniest would be in “31 Flavors” which is being re-released by Loose Id on July 3rd as “31 Flavors of Kink”. Much of that story ended up funny. It was about a real couple and all the mishaps in their sex life after Sid gained the courage to ask her husband to try BDSM. Shibari, or the art of Japanese bondage, becomes a mess of knots if you have little idea as to what you are doing.


The hardest to write? My sex scenes grow as I write them too, but perhaps the latest one in Steel Dominance where I popped my ménage cherry? It is between Dankyo, my emerging Dom from Iron Dominance, Sofia and another woman, Taraja. So it’s m/f/f which isn’t the most popular mix, but I have to say it turned out hot. My beta readers agreed with me on that.


9. Learning about BDSM has become very popular right now with 50 Shades of Grey. Do you have resources you would recommend to writers who really want their work to sparkle with authenticity? Can you tell us about The Playroom site and what it is all about?


Understand what you are writing. If BDSM is just a money spinner, write something else. Readers can tell if it’s really ‘you’ or not. 
Resources? Books from amazon. 




http://www.amazon.com/Screw-Roses-Send-Thorns-Sadomasochism/dp/0964596008/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1339131044&sr=1-1-catcorr




http://www.amazon.com/BDSM-The-Naked-Truth-ebook/dp/B005FA755I/ref=pd_sim_kstore_1?ie=UTF8&m=A24IB90LPZJ0BS






http://www.amazon.com/The-Control-Book-ebook/dp/B005WOFU5E/ref=pd_sim_kstore_4?ie=UTF8&m=A24IB90LPZJ0BS


The Loving Dominant is good but has vanished off Amazon since I bought it a month or two ago.


You can also read the books of other erotic BDSM authors who know their subject. 


Join facebook groups who discuss BDSM, though most of those are secret groups. 


And there are many internet sites that will help you.


http://www.xeromag.com/fvbdsm.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BDSM
http://www.leathernroses.com/generalbdsm/generalbdsm.htm#onlinerl
http://cherisesinclair.com/articles/beginning-domination/
http://www.sexuality.org/book/
http://public.diversity.org.uk/deviant/ssflg1.htm
http://www.submissiveloving.com/whereareyou
htmlhttp://www.seekers.org.uk/


The Playroom is a website for BDSM authors. A fair few of the posts on there have ended up being based on real life BDSM stories by married couples. These are mostly people I have met who were happy to tell their tale. I called them Real People Real BDSM stories.


So if you want to do research and aren’t willing to go on fetlife, read some of these.
http://bdsmauthorsplayroom.blogspot.com.au/


One of the most popular stories is this one. http://bdsmauthorsplayroom.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/real-people-real-bdsm-little-sm-and.html


I’m on facebook as Cari Silverwood and I’m willing to talk if anyone wants more info.


10. What is your next writing project?


I want to finish Steel Dominance, the third book in my Steamwork Chronicles series, then start the first book in my PNR post-apocalyptic series, “Cataclysm Blues – Awakening”. This is due out in December this year. I plan to self-publish that one.


If you want to know more about this author, pop over to her Goodreads page:







Though I’d much rather stay invisible and spin you all tales with my words, here’s a little snippet of my world.


I have a lovely family, here in Australia, with the prerequisite teenager who dwells in the dark bedroom catacombs…a husband who raises eyebrows when he catches glimpses of what I write, and a furry menagerie of other animals barking, meowing, and swimming about the place. 






Before writing the novel, “Three Days of Dominance” I had never dipped my little toes in the hot and lust-swirled sea of erotica. Now every time I turn around, there’s some new character making me write down their story in the most lurid way. My people are quite adamant about explaining creative new ways of making love, so I doubt I’ll run out of ideas anytime soon, though I may go cross-eyed. 


And, dammit, I can’t seem to stop reading other erotica authors either. I have come over to the dark side. Someone please find me a candle...
...and some rope. 'Cause if Darth Vader's here, I'm going to see if he's up for some bondage and wax play.





Be sure to check out my up and coming reviews of Lust Plague and  Three Days of Dominance. 






















12 comments:

  1. Hi Ladies, Wonderful post! Lots of great information in there and some juicy tidbits too. Thank you kindly for sharing. I'll be reading Rough Surrender sometime real soon. Guaranteed.
    Cheers,
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Cari!
    Great interview...secret Facebook groups? That's just urban legend *double winks*!
    xxoo mj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Note to Erzabet:
    Some constructive criticism: I really like your blog, but the font that you're using for your main text is very difficult and somewhat annoying to read. I probably would skipped reading this post if I didn't know Cari.
    Otherwise - great interview and review.
    MJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJ! I always love constructive criticism! Hope this font is better. :) Glad you liked the review and hope you will visit again!

      Delete
    2. What service! Yes - it's fantastic and I think because it's not so "busy" the entire blog looks more tidy. Thank you so much!
      MJ

      Delete
    3. Excellent! I really appreciate the input! :) Thanks!!

      Delete
  4. lol, naughty mj has been critiquing your fonts. But, yes, I admit this is easier to read.

    Thank you for the review, Erzabet, and for getting me to spill the beans about my writing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. You are so welcome! It was wonderful to have you and I can't wait to review your other books! That 31 Flavors sounds spicy!!!

      Delete
  5. It is spicy. Maybe too hot for poor little you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh. Too spicy huh? I take that dare! Even if it makes me squirm a little. (or a lot!) Gauntlet throwing shall commence! Bring it on!!! Woot! lol.

      Delete
  6. Great interview. Rough Surrender has been on my To Read list for awhile now. I really need to get to it! Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!