Greetings! Welcome to Tantalizing Tuesday! This week we have the wonderful and talented Pippa Jay dishing on her new release When Dark Falls. Now for the fun...
1. How did you start writing romance? I actually kind of fell into it by mistake, which sounds terrible but it’s true. I was trying to find an agent for my debut scifi novel when one of my beta readers turned round and told me it was a romance. I was kind of surprised. I mean, yes, my two main characters did get involved with each other even though that hadn’t been the plan, but it never occurred to me I’d written a romance. If I was a character in one of my own stories, I’d be the one who didn’t realize one of the other characters had the hots for me. *facepalm*
2. Plotter or pantster? Pantser. I’ve attempted to plot, but it never really works out for me.
3. What are three things you have on your writing desk? I don’t really have a desk, but generally the things I have close to hand are coffee, notebook and memory sticks.
4. Favorite food? Wow, um, right now pasta in any kind of sauce but preferably something tomato and cheesy.
5. Tell us a little about your new release. What character in the book really spoke to you? When Dark Falls is an alternative 1920s decopunk superhero story, more along the lines of X-Men than the likes of Superman or Spiderman. I love my leading lady--she’s so broken and confused, and with damn good reason. She doesn’t really want to be the hero all that much and doesn’t really think of herself as a good person, but she’s the only one who can do what’s needed.
6. I write because not writing is not an option. I went through about a decade of not writing, and when I came back to it I went a bit crazy for a while. It’s not good for me to keep all those word locked up, lol.
7. What is your favorite type of character to write about? I love tortured characters, preferably male over female, but either will do. The more tortured, the better. Bwahahaa!
8. What is the sexiest scene you ever wrote? Actually, I think it’s the bedroom scene in this one.
9. What advice would you give new authors in the erotica/romance field? Same as I’d give any author really - read, write and research. And be open minded. There’s a lot of things I said I would never write, and I’ve had to take that back. Challenge yourself. Experiment.
10. What is next on your writerly horizon? I have a futuristic urban fantasy short releasing on the 19th December--No Angel-- featuring an incubus on a hunt for a lost angel.
Newsletter sign up: http://www.pippajay.blogspot.co.uk/p/newsletter-signup.html
Wattpad - http://www.wattpad.com/user/PippaJay
Amazon page - http://www.amazon.com/Pippa-Jay/e/B0080QVWEE/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1406376408&sr=8-1
Breathless Press - http://www.breathlesspress.com/index.php?main_page=product_free_shipping_info&cPath=25&products_id=691
Web page to other links - http://www.pippajay.co.uk/#!when-dark-falls/cl15
After spending twelve years working as an Analytical Chemist in a Metals and Minerals laboratory, Pippa Jay is now a stay-at-home mum who writes scifi and the supernatural. Somewhere along the way a touch of romance crept into her work and refused to leave. In between torturing her plethora of characters, she spends the odd free moment playing guitar very badly, punishing herself with freestyle street dance, and studying the Dark Side of the Force. Although happily settled in the historical town of Colchester in the UK with her husband of 21 years and three little monsters, she continues to roam the rest of the Universe in her head.
Pippa Jay is a dedicated member of the Science Fiction Romance Brigade, blogging at Spacefreighters Lounge, Adventures in Scifi, and Romancing the Genres. Her works include a YA science fiction novel—Gethyon—published through BURST (Champagne Books), a scifi romance novella—Tethered—published by Breathless Press, a YA paranormal romance—Restless In Peaceville—published by Lycaon Press, three self-published short stories (Terms & Conditions Apply, The Bones of the Sea, and Reboot), and she’s one of eight authors included in a science fiction romance anthology—Tales from the SFR Brigade. She’s also a double SFR Galaxy Award winner, been a finalist in the Heart of Denver RWA Aspen Gold Contest (3rd place), and the GCC RWA Silken Sands Star Awards (2nd place).
In a city where Dark Technologies Inc. now runs the show, Kadie Williams has more immediate concerns than the fall of Blaze, their guardian superhero. Almost every morning for the last few months she’s woken up with cuts and bruises on her body, and no idea how she got them. There are no nightmares. No evidence that she sleepwalks, or any sign of a break in. And nothing to tell her who’s been cleaning up after her. As just one of thousands of civilians conscripted to slave away in the labs of Professor Dark, she knew there'd be trouble ahead. But she never expected it to be so bad, or so personal.
Desperate for answers, Kadie looks to the new defender of the night, the only person who can hinder the total domination of Professor Dark—Nocturnelle. The mysterious vigilante superhero came from nowhere with her cybernetic sidekick Shadow, set on putting an end to the brutality of Dark's regime. But as his laboratories work on a new secret super-weapon, Nocturnelle and Shadow may not be enough to save Nephopolis...or to save Kadie either.
"I..." He swallowed. "I shouldn't be doing this but..."
He leaned down and kissed her, hard. Wrapped his arms around her. Pulled her tight against him.
She wanted more of him. More than his mouth on hers. More than his hands skimming over the fabric covering her back.
"Kadie..." His voice, rough with desire, made her ache. Right now, all she needed was him.
"I don't think I can. But Kadie?"
"If you want me to stop, all you have to do is..."
She silenced him with her mouth, stopping any further speech. He grasped her hips, tugging her hard against him in response. The heat of him burned into her as she reached under the loose ends of his shirt, exploring the firm muscle of his back. She found knotted scars as she travelled upward, these from battle rather than the surgery that had saved his life. As she traced each scar, he held her as tight and close as her second skin, but stirred a thrill within her deeper and more exhilarating than traveling the city as Nelle. Her breath caught as every fiber in her body coiled tight and her legs shook. Nothing, not even an adrenaline fueled flight through Nephopolis could compete. She looped her hands around his neck, frightened of falling, of him moving away as need consumed her. Don't let this be the only time. Don't let this end...
Jev shifted and hoisted her off the ground, still kissing her. She clung to him as he carried her, not caring where they were going as long as he held her. When he stumbled and dropped, she clutched at his shoulders, but he'd just bumped into the leather sofa and sat. Now she knelt astride his lap, feeling the hard knot of his crotch pressing into the juncture of her thighs. She moaned, burying her fingers in his hair. His hands burned her back as they slid under her thin blouse.