Monday, June 22, 2015

The Prince of Whispers

1. How did you start writing erotic romance?
I started writing because the characters in my head wouldn't shut up. Erotic romance is a genre I enjoy reading, and the story just seems to follow that path as I write. Most of my work has elements of romance, enhanced with heat and passion. I just listen to the characters and follow their lead.
2. Plotter or pantster?
A bit of both. I like to outline what needs to happen in the book, making sure I address all the character's goals and their motivation. Everything else comes as I write. So there are a lot of surprises when the story unfolds. I like it that way. That little bit of plotting keeps me on track, but I still get to enjoy the intricacies as the characters unveil them.
3. What are three things you have on your writing desk?
Coffee, a notebook with brainstorming ideas/outlines, and chocolate. All three keep me focused on my task and motivated.
4. Favorite food?
Cheesecake. I like rich, delicious, velvety cheesecake. *stomach growls* Now I have a craving.
5. Tell us a little about your new release. What character in the book really spoke to you?
Prince Crispin. Ugh, he spoke to me all right. He wouldn't shut up. I couldn't get any work done on any other project because he hovered over my shoulder, whispering ideas in my ear.
The Prince of Whispers is an adventure into the world of a self-indulgent, charismatic prince and his interaction with a spirited female outlaw who abhors the nobility. They both have erroneous views of reality and attempt to change the world around them. But neither of them really comprehend the truth...they need each other to bring unity to the kingdom, or it will be engulfed by treason and civil war.
6. I write because ____...
I would go insane if I didn't purge the thoughts of all these characters.
7. What is your favorite type of character to write about?
I love anti-heroes and villains. The characters who could so easily be considered evil, but are often misunderstood or driven to acts of desperation. Their flaws are obvious, but seeing the character's growth as the story progresses makes the journey even more satisfying.
8. What is the sexiest scene you ever wrote?
I wrote a scene in The Prince of Whispers that involves both the prince, his Ruby, and his best friend. It was by far one of the sexiest scenes I have ever written. But I can't talk too much about it without giving away spoilers. One thing I can say is there was a blindfold involved. *wink*
9. What advice would you give new authors in the erotica/romance field?
Write every day. Make it a habit. Even if you think its total crap, write it down. You can edit later. Also, write what you love and learn to grow as a writer. Never be satisfied that this is as good as it can get.
10. What is next on your writerly horizon?
I plan on writing a novella to finish out the events that began in A Cat Without a Grin. (A short wonderland inspired tale that is available for free.) Topper and Madame Red have some unfinished business to attend.
Thanks for having me today.

<3 jen="" o:p="">


Reader intro:

Dear reader...

If you are expecting a traditional medieval tale or charming prince, you will not find it here. I am not like other men for I have a voracious appetite and will appease it no matter the cost. Do you doubt my confession? Then I invite you to step into my kingdom.

Women were created for pleasure, tis my obligation to see them fulfilled. When I whisper, they come to me. All save one...Lady Ruby. I can see the desire in her eyes even though her pure and noble heart fights against it. She may be an outlaw, but a rare gem such as she has never been found in Meradin.  She is my challenge, my penance, and my weakness. Nothing short of Almighty God Himself can keep her from me. I shall possess her. Ruby is mine.

Dear reader, will you begrudge me your company when you learn of my past and how wicked I can truly be? Or will you come to me willingly, surrender yourself to my charms, and beg for more? Surely my tale of intrigue, murder, and treason will be enough to tempt you to sin with me if only for a short while. Come with me, and I will lay myself bare.

Crispin Saville


Excerpt: 

"Tell me, lovely Ruby, how many men have you killed?"
For a moment, she stared at him, distracted by his compliment, then struck by his question. "Too many," she replied as she fingered the bow at her side.
"Not with an arrow, at a distance," he said, leaning closer, his gaze riveted to hers, his blue eyes piercing her own. Her heart fluttered and pounded. He continued, his voice low, his words deliberate. "I mean, plunged your blade into their chest, felt the grind of bone against the blade, and watched the life drain from their eyes."
Ruby opened her mouth to answer but snapped it closed. The truth was, she hadn't, but she could not bring herself to tell him. She wasn't proud of the fact that she had killed anyone at all, but something in his expression made her want to earn his approval. But that was ridiculous. Why should she care what a pompous noble's son thought of her? She pressed her lips together.
"That is what I thought," he said, the corners of his mouth twisting up.
"Does it matter?" she snapped.
"It does. What if one of your rescues goes awry and a bandit has you pinned, ready to rape you or worse? Your bow cannot save you. Will you let him take you any way he wishes and then steal your last breath with agony and pain?"
She stared at him, her jaw clenched tight. "I shall defend myself as necessary."
"Even if that means slitting his throat?"
"Aye."
His eyes narrowed. "I do not believe you. I could take a blade to your throat right now, and you would let me live."
Ruby slapped him, the crack of her palm against his cheek louder than she had anticipated. His smile widened, humor dancing in his eyes as they focused on her. She raised her hands to strike him again, and his hand encircled her wrist.
Within a breath, he straddled her thighs, his hands around both wrists, effectively pinning her against the tree. She glared at him as he sat on her lap. Ruby jerked her body, trying to free herself. His hold tightened.
"Get off of me," she ground out from between her teeth.
"I told you," he said, leaning closer so his breath whispered across her cheek. "You could not take me."
"Let me at my dagger and I shall prove it." Ruby met his gaze. Her mind raged at her, screaming at the imminent danger. Her body betrayed her as her back arched toward him, her breasts brushing against his tunic.
"Not today," he said as his lips claimed hers.
The kiss went straight to her head, pleasure surged through her mingling with her anger. Indecision swirled through her mind like a whirlpool. The more she fought him, the harder he leaned against her, sliding his body along hers. Delicious friction played between them. Sparks of desire ignited inside of her. Even though she did not want him, she wanted what he offered. A hunger she could not even recognize had awakened.
The pressure of his kiss shifted as he tasted the seam of her lips. Ruby opened her mouth in a gasp of surprise, and he took advantage, slipping his tongue into its moist warmth. She thrashed against him, indignant at his actions. A slow heat unfurled in her belly, reaching up and out, fogging her thoughts, stealing her will to fight him. His tongue slid against hers, and she moaned against his mouth, her resolve crumbling to ash. She met his passion, tasting him for herself, the flavor of whisky and temptation drawing her deeper. His grip on her loosened a bit as she arched against him, wanting more contact.
He nipped her lower lip between his teeth and drew it into his mouth. She groaned as he released her hands and cupped her face between his palms to kiss her again, deeply. Ruby clutched at his shoulders, digging her fingernails into him.
"Such fire," he whispered against her lips. "You burn for me, do you not?" He slipped his fingers over her throat, trailing down to the string at the top of her tunic. With one hand, he loosened the knot and pulled the material back, exposing her chest and the soft curve of her breast. His eyes held hers. Her breath came in rapid pants as his touch drifted lower. He was right; she was on fire. "Shall we let it consume us?"


Biography:

Jen Bradlee can get away with murder, metaphorically speaking of course.  She is a sensual woman who enjoys people watching, belly dancing, and taking walks in the rain.  Give her a man who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty and plays hard. The ones with rough edges and a little scruff are the best. She finds cathartic release when she pours all her fantasies and desires into her writing.  Comes with a warning label.  "Too hot to handle."

Author Links:


Buy Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!